words i am pondering today



Do your little bit of good where you are; it is those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.--Desmond Tutu


Sunday, May 30, 2010

Recipe: Shera's Simple and Savory Black Bean Soup

UPDATE 2/19/13:  Not only have I made this soup many times since the first post, but it is SO yummy, and SO easy that it is one of my favorite recipes.  You must use fresh salsa, not canned, to get the real flavor of the recipe, but of course do what you need in a pinch. 

I make it often, sometimes with my from scratch beans, sometimes from cans.  It's terrific either way, so do it the way that seems prudent for your family (and cooking ability Jen ; ). 

And I don't blend the soup.  I know most people would like the texture, but I am just too lazy for that, and my family scarfs it down as is. It might even look prettier in the bowl.

We don't bother with the limes (again--lazy) but sour cream really is good on this soup. And my family believes that blue corn chips are another must on the side, instead of bread. 

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   . 
ORIGINAL POST 5/30/10:

Ok, full disclosure: I have not yet tried this soup. But my friend Shera emailed it to me when I started writing here about dinners, and it sounds so easy and yummy that I have decided to make it tomorrow night for dinner. I am going to be good and soak the beans tonight and cook them in the crock pot tomorrow.

Here is her email:

"I figured I should tell you one of my favorite go-to recipes that's gotten me through those evenings when I panic with "OH NO!! IT'S ALMOST 6! WHAT SHOULD I MAKE FOR DINNER?????" I am also of the "fake it don't make it" club since I struggle with procrastination too (and a hint of laziness to be quite honest)! So, anything with 5 ingredients or less always catches my eye.

It has good protein and fiber in it and it's relatively cheap. I hope you like black beans....


Black bean soup

1 cup fresh salsa (like the tubs you can buy in the refrigerated section, or you can make your own)
2 cans of black beans (TJs has organic ones, but I look for them on sale too, or if you have the time, you could make them from dried!)
2 cups chicken broth (or veggie broth, but I find the chicken is a little more savory)

Sour cream
limes
(for garnishes)

In a saucepan, heat the salsa over med heat for 5 min to let the onions, tomatoes and herbs get fragrant and meld. Add the bb (drained of course) and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Then, this part is somewhat optional, but I like it: after letting the soup cool a bit (10 min?) put half of it in a blender and blend, then return to the original pot. That way, it's a "black" color and you still have some whole beans in there too. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a good squeeze of lime.

I usually serve this soup with yummy bread (I have a weakness for the artisan stuff too!), all warm and crusty and a good raw lettuce salad (which can be prepped while the soup is simmering."


Thanks, Shera! We LOVE black beans around here, and can't wait to try it!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! I can't believe I made it on here! Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete